Thursday, March 29

On Tap For Today Goes To Bootcamp: Post 3


This session, we've invited a Boston blogger, Elizabeth from On Tap for Today, to attend Ultimate Bootcamp as a way to change up her routine and help increase her running speed. Elizabeth will be blogging about her Ultimate Bootcamp experience, and we'll be posting her entries here as well. Check out her blog and follow along!

Day 3 was all about the legs.  And I was all about going to bed at 8:30 PM.  Waking up on Wednesday was harder than the previous two days, but I worked until 9:30 the night before and stayed up later than planned, so I am sure that had something to do with it.  I was tempted to hit the snooze button, but I knew that being late to bootcamp was not an option.  Setting out my workout clothes, a snack, various Chapsticks, my car keys and water bottle the night before has been so helpful.  My oncebright Paris pink top is now covered in what I hope is mud (but fear is likely goose poop), but that’s another story.
Clark is not impressed.  How about another sunrise?
The sun looks like a giant star in that photo.  Mostly because it is (obvi).  An hour before that lovely sunrise, Kim brought us over to Saunders Stadium for a killer lower-body workout.  I nearly hit the deck after tripping over a rock while running the stairs, but you know what they say, no pain no gain.  I am pretty sure they also say don’t run stairs in the dark, but hey.
Wednesday’s session included:
  • Alternating leg step-ups on the stone wall along the track
  • Lots of stairs and running at Saunders Stadium
  • Squats (regular, tuck, and single-leg)
  • Prisoner walks
  • Sprints on the grass
  • Lunges (stationary, forward and reverse walking)
  • High knees
  • Leg throws with a partner
  • Bridges (regular and single leg)
If I can’t sit down… or get back up… for the rest of the week, you now know why.  I worked with the same partner as Day 2 for some of the drills– she’s incredibly nice and always ready with a word of encouragement.  That seems to hold true for the rest of the group, too.  I like the “we’re all in this together” spirit.
I worried that I was running late on Thursday morning, mostly because I saw another human being up and about in our building.  When I got to our meeting place, the city gates were locked and there was no one in sight.  I looped around several times before recalling that Kim had suggested an alternate meeting spot (just in case) earlier in the week, and made my way over there.  A few of us ran half a mile on the track while the group assembled.  Jeanine took us through a great workout, focusing on the biceps, triceps, shoulders and core.
Today’s workout included:
  • Hill running
  • Overhead shoulder presses with a resistance band
  • Jumping jacks
  • Bicep curls with a resistance band
  • Triceps dips along the wall
  • Squat thrusts
  • Stairs
  • Planks
  • Run/walk intervals
There was a lot of “run to the fence and back,” and I found myself being really mindful of not cutting corners.  Whether it was reaching the top of the hill, holding a plank for the full 30 seconds, or touching the fence before turning around, I wanted to be sure to finish the workout proud of the effort I had put forth.  Admittedly, my upper body is not as strong as my lower body, so this workout felt much harder than the previous day’s workout.  I am looking forward to getting stronger and being able to reach for a more challenging resistance band for those overhead presses by the end of these four weeks.
Thursday’s sunrise was captured from the other side of Saunder’s Stadium,just as traffic was just starting to pick up.
I went to bed feeling sore last night, especially in the shoulders and quads, but I’m already looking forward to next week’s sessions.  I am loving the structured and challenging workouts, the camaraderie, and the chance to spend a little bit more time outside each day.  I’ve definitely noticed that I am sleeping better and seeing a change in my appetite too.  Normally I’d grab a banana or some Greek yogurt once I’d settled in at my desk, but I am finding myself ravenously hungry for a legitimate breakfast by the time I get back to my condo.  I should probably add that to the list of things to prepare the night before.  I’m getting quite good at that.
With Week 1 of Ultimate Bootcamp behind me, I have today and the weekend to fit in a long run, a boxing class, and some much needed yoga.  While I am tempted to sleep in, I have a feeling that will only make getting up in the dark on Monday more challenging.  You snooze, you lose… right?  Riiight.
Full disclosure: I am attending this session of Ultimate Bootcamp at no cost.  I am not being compensated for writing about participating, and per usual, you can trust me to be open and honest about the experience.  Oh… and… um, it was goose poop.
NOTE: This post originally appeared on On Tap for Today and is reposted here with permission.
Elizabeth writes at On Tap for Today, a Boston-based lifestyle blog featuring inspiration for fun, healthy and full living.  She is a non-profit executive, a two-time marathoner, and an avid Boston sports fan.  You can follow Elizabeth's adventures at Ultimate Bootcamp on her blog, or on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment