And there isn't just one of these mutant zucchinis, there are many. So, after throwing zuchinni into every entree I could imagine...zucchini salads, zucchini pasta, zucchini omelets...I came across a recipe for zucchini bread. The recipe was dairy free, but packed with sugar, refined flour and oil. I made a few tweaks and voila! A healthy, whole wheat bread recipe that makes a perfect breakfast or slightly sweet dessert.
Zucchini Bread Recipe
Prep: 20 min Bake: 1 hour 15 minutes Cool: 2 hours
16 slices, about 130 calories per slice
Zucchini Bread Ingredients
- 3 cups zucchini, finely chopped (2-3 medium zucchinis or 1 giant zucchini)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs + 3 egg whites
- 3 cups flour (I use 100% Whole Wheat, but you can substitute regular whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Zucchini Bread Directions
- Heat oven 350F degrees. Rub a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan with 1 tsp vegetable oil.
- In an extra large bowl, mix zucchini, sugar, apple sauce, oil and eggs.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except walnuts.
- Fold in walnuts (optional)
- Spread batter into loaf pan. There may be a little extra batter.
- Bake 1 hour 15 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Gently remove bread from pan and place on wire rack for 2 hours before slicing.