Monday, August 1

Boston Bootcampers Conquer Obstacle Course Races

"When I got out of my car, I could hear the buzz and feel the energy – the place was packed and people were psyched and partying." remembers Ultimate Bootcamper David Elston-Pollock.

What the 50 year old communications professional describes isn't a New England championship game. It isn't a New Year's Eve bash. It's not an explosive rock concert at Fenway Park.

David is reminiscing about his experience at last year's Warrior Dash obstacle course race.

"The course was 1.5 miles up the mountain and 1.5 miles down, and it was packed with great obstacles – among other things, a 20 foot swamp with water up to the middle of your chest, a water slide, fire jump and crawling through mud with barbed wire above."

Obstacle course races are all the rage. They range from uber-competitive 48 hour races where 80% of racers are not expected to finish to 3 mile races a fitness newbie can conquer with proper training. One common thread amongst all obstacle course races: running isn't enough.

South Boston resident Diane Staib accompanied David at many of the New England obstacle course races. "The most challenging part of the obstacle course races was climbing the walls."

David echos that sentiment. He found the hills and any obstacles that involved upper strength to be the most difficult.

David and Diane ran 4 obstacle course races last year: Spartan Race, Rugged Maniac, Warrior Dash and Ruckus. Both of them joined Ultimate Bootcamp for specialized obstacle course training sessions before the races.

"Ultimate Bootcamp gave me confidence in my physical capabilities – I felt like if I could do bootcamp, I could do anything." says David proudly. "I was never an athletic kid. After the first few months at bootcamp, I found I was in front of the pack, high-fiving and fist-bumping with people after certain drills and was fitting in with other athletes and enjoying myself".

While some shy at the thought of boot camp workouts for fear of "keeping up" with the group, it was the group camaraderie that helped fuel Diane's success.

"I learned that I can push myself farther than I ever thought I could. I know you don't need a lot of equipment to work out and see results. Team encouragement is so important and really helps."

If you're thinking about running an obstacle course race in New England this year, Ultimate Bootcamp is here to help your training in 3 ways.

  1. We'll be posting obstacle course training tips over the next few weeks on our blog. Add these drills and exercises into your current training regime to take your training to the next level.

  2. Saturday morning, 90-minute Bootcamp classes will feature total body workouts so you can work on your weaknesses and perfect your strengths. Bootcamp Basics (for beginners) and Blast (for advanced) are scheduled most weekends.

  3. If you want an ultimate obstacle course race training experience, a 4-week Ultimate Bootcamp program will help push you beyond your limits with unparalleled focus and motivation. Every class is different. Every class you'll conquer challenges you wouldn't think possible. Every class you'll get a shot of encouragement from your Trainers and team mates.
"Just get out there and do it and don't worry about what anyone else may think!" Suggests Diane. "You can do it! Go at your own pace and have fun at it!"


Diane, David and Ultimate Bootcamp Trainer Kim D.
Spartan Race Ready Clinic hosted by Ultimate Bootcamp
David near the finish

No comments:

Post a Comment